Friday, May 19, 2017

The Grooviest Covers of All Time: Groove's Favorite Covers from May 1972

Forty-five years ago this month, Groove-ophiles! Lessee...The Godfather was still ruling the box office...All In the Family was ruling the boob tube...and Roberta Flack ruled the radio with "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Best of all, at least for Young Groove, third grade was almost over and summer was on the way! What comics did I beat the heat with? Funny you should ask...
























This one was my mom's. I swear!





Yeah, these covers grabbed Young Groove (and the insides of most of 'em were pretty far-out, too). There were lots more, and you can view 'em here on Mike's Amazing World of Comics!

6 comments:

  1. I miss the non superhero books of the groovy age, the horror books, Conan, Ghost Rider, Tarzan, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the exact same thing when I was looking over the covers. I always felt DC was especially good at the non super hero books. Miss those groovy comics!

      Delete
    2. DC kept the western, funny animal, romance, war and comedy genres going, while Marvel started homing in on Superhero and horror. Of course, I was quickly turning into a Marvel zombie, so I wonder if there's a listen in that?

      Delete
  2. Groove! Awesome posts! I, too, love the non superhero covers. I especially dug Yesterday's sadsack comic. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a dern good month for comics!
    Several notables here. But I think "Himon" was the high point in Kirby's Fourth World. I think we see a younger version of himself meeting an older version of himself, in the interaction between Himon and Scott Free, and their reaction to the chaos and violence they saw. It might be one of Kirby's most self-revealing stories. I was quite moved by it.

    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "The Pact" (New Gods # 7) was even better.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!