Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Black and White Wednesday: "The Mayan Mutations" by Moench, Mayerik, and DeZuniga

What it is, Groove-ophiles! Y'know, some of my fondest Christmas memories go back to the Christmas of 1976, and one of my all-time fave mags came out December 7 that year: Doc Savage #7! "The Mayan Mutations" by regular writer Doug Moench, regular inker Tony DeZuniga, and guest-penciler Val Mayerik just might have been Teen Groove's fave ish of Marvel's b&w incarnation of Doc and his Amazing Five. The setting, the supporting characters, the return of Doc's gadget vest, the giant bug monsters--man, that's the stuff I still go for! Hopefully you'll dig this novel-length Marvel Masterpiece as much as I always have...
Cover art by Ken Barr



















































4 comments:

  1. I think this was my favorite of the ones I got to read. What a great series this was! I just hated that it had to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this rather recently in that Showcase reprint book; I'm inclined to agree with you that this is - if not the best - one of the best from the Doc Savage b&w magazine. And it's always nice to see Mayerik's art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have fond memories of this, too.... and I can see why it made your Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I gotta say is Wow! You got great taste Groove! Watching all this wonderful art reminds me that Tony DeZuniga is the master!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!